Best Secured Credit Cards for Bad Credit
Secured credit card
We have the choice of Upgrades and Reward
The Discover It®, Secured credit cards require a cash deposit like other secured cards that help people rebuild or build bad credit. The system automatically reviews accounts to determine if they are eligible to receive an unsecured credit card.
Capital One Quicksilver Secured Cash Rewards Credit Card
We have the choice of Upgrades and Rewards
Capital One Quicksilver Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a variety of attractive features for those with low credit scores. This is similar to the benefits you’d get on the much-unsecured credit card. Check out our review.
Cap One Platinum Secured Credit Card
We choose: Low deposit
The Capital One Platinum Secured Credit Card requires that you make a security deposit. Qualified applicants can get a $200 credit limit and a $49 or $99. An automatic credit limit increase is possible without making a deposit.
OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
No credit check
The OpenSky®, Secured VISA®, Credit Card comes with an annual fee. However, many people will still be interested because there is no credit check. You don’t even need a bank account. You can also use a Western Union payment or money order to fund your deposit.
Chime Credit Builder Visa® Credit Card
We choose: No credit check
This card has zero minimum deposit, no annual fees or interest, and can be automated to automatically pay your bills, so you never miss a payment. You will need to have a minimum deposit. This allows you to automate your payments so that you are never late.
Tomo Credit Card
Our choice: There is no credit check, annual fee, security deposit, or APR
For those with low FICO scores or none, the Tomo Credit Card is available. The card issuer does not need to make a security deposit or conduct a credit check. Instead, they can look at income and account balances. There are no interest fees or charges.
Get Credit Mastercard
Our choice: There is no credit check, annual fee, security deposit, or APR
The Grow Credit Mastercard doesn’t require a security deposit or credit check. Instead, you can use the card to establish credit and pay for eligible subscriptions like Netflix and Spotify. You don’t have to carry any credit card balance. There are no interest or other charges. Read our review.
DCU Visa®, Platinum Secured Credit Card
We choose: Low-interest rates
Bad credit can be served by the DCU Visa®, Platinum Secured Credit Card. It has a lower interest than many unsecured cards for people with good credit. It offers lower interest than other unsecured cards for those with good credit.
How do you determine if your credit score is sufficient to get a credit card for bad credit?
This is asking for a regular credit card line. You are asking for a regular credit line.
Credit cards for people who have bad credit can be an option.
Credit score less than 630
Credit scores below 630 are generally considered to be poor credit. Having a credit card tailored to your needs, such as a debit or credit card, can help you rebuild your credit.
Credit history is either not good or very bad
Bad credit is commonly associated with poor credit. This can include making errors such as not paying your bills or transferring your accounts to collection agencies. They can also be considered risky borrowers.
What is bad credit?
Multiple factors can influence credit scores. Some are minor. A credit card application can temporarily lower someone’s credit score as it suggests a need for more financial resources.
These are the main factors that can affect your credit score and contribute to poor credit.
- Your payment history. This is the most important thing that will impact your score.
- How much do you owe? Scoring systems pay special attention to credit utilization. Credit utilization is a key factor in scoring systems.
- Credit history. A lack of credit history can lead to a low credit score. Close the policy if it has one.
- Different types of credit. Scoring algorithms prefer to see a mix of loans and credit cards. It is important not to allow one account to become your entire credit history.
- Credit applications. Each application temporarily lowers your credit score. Only apply for cards with a high approval rate.
What credit card is easiest to get approved?
Credit card applications are not guaranteed to be approved. Card issuers will also consider your income and credit history.
- If the credit card issuer is less risky, it will be easier to get approved. This is done to ensure your bank account can pay the bill. Your money will be returned to you if your account is closed or enhanced.
- It’s generally easier to get a credit card from a store than a bank account. Store credit cards are more flexible and offer higher interest rates. However, they can still be useful for credit building.
- Green Day Online doesn’t recommend an unsecured credit card for people with bad credit.
- Fair credit cards are an option for those who have just started building credit and have at least 600 points. See our top credit card for proper credit.
High costs can result from bad credit
Credit scores are a measure of risk. You will pay more interest if you can get a loan.
There are other costs. Credit scores can be used by landlords, employers, and insurers to evaluate applicants or customers.
Green Day Online’s survey revealed that many people are unaware of these effects. Another 1 in 5 respondents thought that 600 credit scores were enough to get a credit card.
Regardless of your credit history, a card specifically tailored for you can help you build credit faster and more efficiently.
Bad credit cards
Credit cards with low credit limits and high-interest rates for people with poor credit are common. These are the things to consider when you choose a credit card.
- They are reporting payments to credit boards.
- Low fees.
- Credit score. An issuer should give you free access to your credit scores so you can track your progress. Other resources should be available, such as financial education programs for free and calculators for debt repayments.
- An upgrade route. Is it possible to change from a secured to a regular unsecured card? If you have poor credit, can you upgrade to an unprotected card that has no fees and offers rewards?
How to Apply for Credit Cards for People with Bad Credit
1. Know your credit score
Applying for credit cards can be a frustrating process.
2 Select a card that suits your needs
Along with others on Green Day Online, this page has a “recommended scoring” graph showing how much credit you need to be approved for a card. If you don’t log in, you can view the Recommended Range.
To apply to a card, simply click the “apply now.” The application will usually ask for your income.
4. You should deposit your security deposit
Secured credit cards require you to deposit at least $200 before your card issuer opens them. If you deposit $500, your credit limit will be $500. You can deposit $1,000 to get credit lines equaling $500. Some allow you to pay by money order.
5. Get your card
After you have funded your deposit, your card will be issued.
Credit cards can help you improve your credit score
Low credit scores do not mean you are condemned to failure.
- Be sure to use your card. Making timely payments is the first step in building a credit history.
- Avoid using the card frequently. Credit utilization is an important component of credit scores. Credit utilization is how often you use credit.
- Pay on time and in full. If you can’t make the full payment by the due date, you must complete at least the minimum payment.
- Track your progress. Regularly check your credit score, credit reports, and other information to see if you’re on the right track.
- Keep your accounts open if possible. Check with your issuer to determine if you can keep the existing account.
CREDIT CARDS ARE NOT TO BE AVOIDED
Credit cards for people with bad credit are often costly. This includes processing fees, activation fees, and monthly maintenance and membership fees.
These fees can quickly add up and be more expensive than a deposit on your secured credit card. These fees, unlike security deposits, are not returnable.
Green Day Online recommends that you avoid products like these:
FIRST PREMIER BANK CREDIT CIRCULATION CARD
The fees associated with the First Premier Bankcard are very high. Your credit limit will also affect your ongoing fees.
The federal law that established this fee structure is its reason for existence.
HORIZON GOLD CREDIT CARD
This card website banner states: “Bad credit, no credit?” The banner at the top of this card website says: “Bad credit, no credit?” The card comes with a “issuance fee” and an “accident validation fee.”
CREDIT ONE CARDS
Credit One Bank, not to be confused with Capital One, is a credit card specialist for people with less than perfect credit.
The minimum credit limit for these cards is $500, and they charge an annual $125 fee. This fee is 25% lower than the legal maximum. In the second year, the annual fee drops down to $96. You will be charged $10 per month for maintenance fees, totaling $216 per annum.
Total Visa is similar to the First Premier Bank Credit Card. You will have to pay an $89 processing fee to open an account. This drops to $48 for the second and subsequent years. You will also have to pay a $6.25 per month processing fee. This amounts to $75 per annum. Total Visa card APR as of June 2019 was shockingly high at 34.99%.
LAST RESORT OPTIONS
INDIGO PLATINUM PRIMERCARD
According to the website, the annual fee for this card varies depending on the cardholder’s creditworthiness.
MILESTONE GOLD MASTERCARD
Genesis Bankcard Services offers Milestone Gold. It is the same company that created Indigo Platinum.
Green Day Online’s Credit Cards Team chooses the best credit cards for bad credit. This is based on overall value, star ratings, suitability for specific consumers, and minimum and maximum deposits for secured cards.
We also consider interest rates, credit education and tools, reporting options to credit agencies, and the possibility of upgrading to an unsecured account. You can also get approved without having to pass a credit check.